Quick find by category

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Powerhouse Pancakes

My kids love pancakes. My three year old asks for them, like, everyday. And did you know Bisquick has trans fat in it? It's found in the partially hydrogenated oils in the mix. Know where those end up? In your arteries. Fortunately, homemade pancake mix is super easy to make, stores well in the freezer, and is as quick to whip up as Bisquick pancakes on any morning of the week, which my makes my kids their hero for at least five minutes. And it's SO MUCH HEALTHIER. Best of all... they taste amazing. Seriously, I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but these are the best pancakes I've ever had. 


I've been working on the ratios for awhile, but I've finally got it nailed. And I've incorporated a bunch of powerhouse ingredients into it — oats, whole wheat flour, almonds, flax, and coconut oil. You're welcome.


POWERHOUSE PANCAKES
Ingredients: (makes 10 cups of dry mix)
3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup almond meal
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all purpose flour
3 Tb ground flax
4 Tb brown sugar
1 Tb baking soda
3 Tb baking powder
1 Tb salt
1 Tb vanilla extract
1 cup coconut oil

To make mix:
Put first nine ingredients (oats through salt) in your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment and mix on low until well-blended (or gently mix by hand). With motor running, slowly pour in vanilla extract and coconut oil. Store in the freezer in a gallon-sized freezer bag or freezer-safe container.

To make pancakes:
Put 1 cup pancake mix, 3/4 cup milk (don't use almond milk), and 1 egg into a bowl. Whisk well and let stand for five minutes. Heat a griddle to 325ยบ (or a pan on the oven to medium). Once it's very hot, drop your wet pancake mix onto the griddle in small rounds. Flip when bubbles begin to form and the edges start to look cooked. Remove from the griddle after they cook through and brown on the other side. This amount will make about ten pancakes (or more if making silver dollars).

Serve with real maple syrup. The kind that was tapped from an actual maple tree. Please, whatever you do, don't serve your kids that maple-flavored corn syrup monstrosity that Big Agro tries to pass off as food (I'm looking at you, Butterworth). Happy pancake mornings!

2 comments:

  1. So are there whole oats in the pancakes or should I pulse in the food processor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are whole oats! If you don't like the whole oats in there you can definitely run them through the food processor first, but the ones you had at my house that you liked that one day had whole oats in them.

    ReplyDelete