Quick find by category

Monday, May 12, 2014

Basics: Guacamole

I call guacamole a basic because it's one of the five food groups. Did you know? Fruits & veggies, meats, grains, dairy, guac.

I mean, it should be. It is in my house.



My three year old calls it whack-a-mole-y. He says whack-a-mole-y makes his belly smile.

I throw this together on a weekly basis, and it doesn't even make it to the fridge. I have never seen avocados disappear so fast. Even my parents who don't care for guac gobble this up.


GUACAMOLE
Ingredients:
3 ripe Hass avocados, peeled & pitted
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2-4 Tb key lime juice
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Optional add-ins:
minced red onion
seeded & minced jalapeƱo
seeded & diced tomatoes

To make:
Put avocados in a medium bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. I like the potato masher because it's bigger and gets the job done faster. Incidentally, I use my potato masher for everything BUT mashing potatoes. Add the rest of the ingredients. Start with 2 Tb of lime juice and taste. Add more if needed. My favorite juice to use is Nellie & Joe's key lime juice. It's on the juice aisle near the Real Lemon. My husband's stepmom lived in Key West for awhile and actually knows Nellie and Joe personally, but I'm not holding my breath for free lime juice anytime soon.

As far as add-ins go, throw in with whatever your family likes. Or what YOU like. You're the one who made it, for crying out loud. Don't let those people dictate your life like that. You want red onion? Add red onion. You want flaked salmon? Add flaked sal... no wait, don't. That's gross. 

Serve with tortilla chips and wine. Or drink your wine in the other room while your family is devouring the guacamole so you can have a few minutes' peace. Either way works just fine.

1 comment: